Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

Language bliss & blunders: At the hairdresser's (April 2012)

My all time favourite... !

From DJ Tales 3.4 (April 2012)

It’s like leading a cow to watch a movie. That’s the Khmer idiom to describe my (Jess) recent haircut experience.

The hairdresser I went to 2 months ago was busy, so I went to another salon instead. There were 3 girls, presumably all hairdressers. Not understanding what I wanted with my hair cut, the girl that I spoke to initially got frustrated & called for another girl to attend to me instead. The 2nd girl started asking questions but I couldn’t understand her either!

It was rather discouraging, even more so as I had received assurance from my teacher the week before that I was progressing very well & understanding a lot. What made it difficult was the wide use of ‘slang’ words & expressions, so I couldn’t understand as they sounded so different! (e.g. ‘gonna’ vs ‘going to’ in English).

I tried chatting with the girl cutting my hair, but each time I asked a question, the other 2 girls added in many comments & made jokes, all which I couldn’t understand. They also mixed in some English words, but they sounded so unclear that I thought they were speaking Khmer!

This was the conversation after the hairdresser (Hd) was done.

Hd: Nih ban eh?
       (Is this OK?)

Me: Urm…
       <hesitating>

Hd: Nih K’chood! K’chood!
       (It’s k’chood (?!)

Me: Urm… k’chood? K’chood ay gey?
       (What does k’chood mean?)

Hd: K’chood! S’at!
       (K’chood! Beautiful!)

Me: K’chood mien ney ta s’at?
       (Does k’chood mean beautiful?)

Hd: K’chood! K’chood!
       <bewildered look, repeats more intensely with the other 2 girls joining in>

I made a mental note of that word & asked my teacher the next day. To my surprise, she said, “K’chood? It’s an English word! It means beautiful.” After wrecking my brains, I now know what it is:

“CUTE”!

<Cow bangs head on the TV set…>

No comments:

Post a Comment