Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

The day I couldn't be a backseat driver

It's rainy season. You'd think that I'd have the common sense to pack in a raincoat in my bag... but No...

So it rained last Friday just as we were going back home. Thankfully David was more prepared than I was. So at least we had one raincoat to share between the two of us...

Photo: So it didn’t stop raining after all. Thankfully David is always more prepared. At least we had one raincoat to share between the two of us!

I'm a backseat driver. Especially when the driver is my husband. Even more so when we're in crazy-traffic-land, i.e. Cambodia. Frequently, I have this urge to scream out "Watch out! Car coming!" or "Slow down!" or "Motorbike!"

Even though I'm slowly learning to refrain from commenting, I still feel the obligation to "lend my pair of eyes" to watch out for the traffic. As if I can somehow control the driving just by my looking.

So... it was a rather... urm... faith-testing (& nerve-wrecking!) experience to be riding home under that raincoat without being able to see anything apart from my own two feet! You bet I was clinging on tighter than usual!

Maybe that's why God sometimes keeps us in the dark about where we're going in life. So that we can stop being backseat drivers trying to tell Him what to do? So that we can learn to trust & cling on to Him more?

No comments:

Post a Comment